Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Art of The Procrastination

Friday 11:30 pm- I didn't get much writing done today. I really wasted the day. I won't make that mistake again. I have to use my time wisely and get things done. If its so important I should do it, right. Good thing there is tomorrow. A whole day to really get down to business and get work done. I will buckle down and get to it tomorrow. Promise.

Saturday 9:19 am- Alright, today is the day I get some work done. Just get some coffee and I will be ready.

Saturday 9:25 am- I have my coffee and my laptop is fired up. Ready to write and crank out something awesome. And off I go... Wait, wait I need to check what football game is on first. Oooh, Michigan against Nebraska. My father-in-law to be likes the Huskers. Better watch the game so we have something to talk about on Thanksgiving. Nothing worse than silence. I'll type at halftime.

Saturday 10:15 am- Halftime. Okay, time to crank out some ideas. Here we go... Wait, wait that's the phone have to see who it is. My sister asking if I can pick up her dogs. Sure I can. I am a helpful person. That should take only a half hour. I'll be back in time for the second half, uh, I mean write.

Saturday 10:55 am- I love being helpful. Alright, back to writing. Hold it. I have to check on the Nebraska v. Michigan score. Michigan is up by a lot. This game looks to be over. Now I can get started again with my writing. And lets get going... Oh no, I have that Ferris Bueller's Day Off retrospect from Bio Tivo'd. I really wanted to watch it. Great movie. It's two hours long. Its worth it. Where is my writing going to go.

Saturday 12:28 pm- Wow! That was a great retrospect on Ferris Bueller's Day Off. John Hughes was a huge procrastinator and he made awesome movies. Maybe it is not such a bad thing to be a procrastinator as long as you eventually get something done. I don't feel so guilty about what I'm doing now. I mean, the guy did make Ferris Bueller's Day Off. That obviously counts for something. I'm inspired to do something. Time to write.

Saturday 12:30 pm- Time to eat. What was I thinking? I need fuel before I can take off and write a masterpiece. I almost totally blew it by starting and then having to stop. I almost totally compromised my entire day.

Saturday 12:45 pm- Finishing my lunch, when, what is this? A crossword puzzle? Where is a pen? Lunch and a crossword is exactly what my brain needs to get properly warmed up. I almost just started sprinting without stretching right there. You don't just jump in the deep end without sticking a toe in the water to see what the temperature is. Am I right?

Saturday 1:10 pm- That crossword was tough. But now I am ready to write. Ooooh the jumble.

Saturday 1:19 pm- I am stuck on this one last word for the jumble. Its the last one before I can solve the whole jumble. What word do these letters create? L A I S L N T G.

Saturday 1:25 pm- Stalling. Bingo!!!! That kind of wore me out. Maybe a short nap. No, you have to write. You promised last night, remember? Right! No more excuses. It is time.

Saturday 1:30 pm-  Sitting at my laptop ready to write. My fiance pops her head in, "You want to come to the gym with me?" I stare at the blank screen. I am kinda tired and maybe I can sort out my thoughts and ideas at the gym. The gym could get me out of this funk of not writing. Me, "Just make sure I get back to writing when I get home. Don't let me come up with any excuses. Got it?" She nods. Off to the gym.

Saturday 1:45 pm- At the gym. Pumping iron and sweating. Good endorphins. Hey, there is my good buddy Mr. San Jose. Mr San Jose, "Hey, lets get some dinner tonight? We can go around 7?" That sounds awesome. I mean this is Mr. San Jose and I will need to eat dinner. I am in.

Saturday 2:45 pm- Finishing up my cardio and then home to write. I am pumped. ESPNews ticker just said that Michael Vick and Jeremy Maclin are out for tomorrow's game against the Giants. Holy Philly Cheesesteak, I need to check my fantasy team for tomorrow. We need to get home now.

Saturday 3:10 pm- My fiance pops her head in the door as I study my fantasy team, "What are you doing? You are supposed to be writing." I look at her as if she just asked me if I wanted to go see Twilight- with disgust and coldness. Me, "I only have the next 19 hours to get my team ready. I am playing the first place team and I need this win to make the playoffs! Don't you know what is important?!?! Don't you have any sense of what matters?!?!?!" She looks at me as if I just flew off the handle. Women.

Saturday 3:59 pm- Racking my brain- Do I start Mike Nungent or Billy Cundiff? I need to do some homework on the matter figuring in wind, stadium, time of day, special teams, and the list just grows. I am woefully unprepared to handle these questions. Better put on a pot of coffee and start doing some research on this.

Saturday 4:30 pm- Phew. Glad that is over. Almost totally blew tomorrow's fantasy game. Close calls like that need to be avoided. Now I can move on with my day.

Saturday 4:35 pm- I came real close to blowing my whole day. I can't believe I lost sight of what I needed to do. Glad my phone alerted me that I have pending games in Words with Friends. I almost forfeited three games. What kind of Word with Friends friend would I be if I just let people hang like that.

Saturday 4:57 pm- Now I can sleep well knowing I took care of all my friends on Word with Friends. Now I really am tired. Nap time.

Saturday 6:24 pm- That was a great power nap. I am refreshed. I feel like writing right now. Oh yeah, I have dinner in a half hour. I will write when I get back. Some food and a couple drinks. I will defintely want to write when I get back. Better get ready.

Saturday 7:07 pm- Here at Kyoto Palace for dinner. This is a long wait. Better wait in the bar, have some drinks, and watch the football games. Best plan of the day.

Saturday 7:32 pm- Closing out my tab at the bar before we sit and eat. I have so many good ideas to write. I wish I had the time to write right now.

Saturday 8:40 pm-  Done with dinner. I am ready to get home and write down some great stuff I came up with. Phone rings and its my good buddy Sleazy B. A bunch of people are getting together in Campbell tonight. Sounds awesome. I can only stay for a half hour though. I need to get some work done. Coming over right now.

Sunday 11: 57 am- Sure glad I didn't miss that phone call. What a great day. That last bar sure was fun.  I look over at the blank screen that stares back at me. My shoulders slump, but I shake it off quickly, as I think to myself, "Oh well, I always have tomorrow." I will get all my work I put off today done tomorrow. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment